Free Storybook Lane House Download

Plush_house

I am starting to hear from shops who have received their shipments of the Storybook Lane fabrics.  I am so excited!

I have been busy behind the scenes getting all of the sewing patterns proofed, printed, and off to the shops.  I am also working on a list of stores who are carrying the fabrics + sewing patterns, so if you see it in stores, let me know!

While you’re waiting, I wanted to give you a little gift to get your Storybook Lane village started — a free sewing pattern to make a simple, plush house.

[8/12/12 Note:  The free house pattern below is for the simple, plush house.  For the Fold-down House Play Set with the handle, please see the Little Red + Gretel Storybook Lane Booklet.]

I love this pattern.  It was a collaboration with my Mom, and we spent a lot of time cutting out and sewing up houses and figuring out how to get consistently cute results.  Top of my list was a nice, crisp roof-line.  I think you’ll like our method.

HousePatternThumbnail

Download instructions:  Just click on the the image above to open the PDF.  Then select “Save As” to keep a copy.  If you’re printing this out at home, make sure that your printer is set to print at 100%.  Otherwise, your house template may print out too small!

For those of you who already have fabric in your hands, there are a few things to know:

• The houses are printed with bleed (just like a quilt block would be).  So you don’t want to just cut out the house as it’s printed on the fabric and stitch it together. Be sure to use the cutting instructions and template in this free pattern download.
  • House side walls should always be cut to measure 7 3/4″ wide x 6 3/4″ tall (using a 3/8″ seam allowance).
  • The house-shaped pieces should be cut with the attached template.

Templates2

Tip: I like to trace my templates onto clear, template plastic and then use a rotary cutter and mat to cut out my shapes.  That way, I can line up the base of my template and seam allowance using the bottom of the potted plants and fences as a guide.  (You could probably do the same thing with tissue paper.)  Fabric gets stretched and washed a lot during printing, so this is the best way to make sure your house looks nice and straight.

I am working on some fun videos to answer some common questions.  And of course, I’m always here to chat, so please don’t hesitate to e-mail me at kleecreel(at)everkelly(dot)com.  I can’t wait to see what you make!

(P.S. – The house with the handle is the Fold Down House Play Set which is part of the Storybook Lane: Little Red + Gretel pattern book.)

Filed under Fabric & Sewing, I Made This, Tutorials & Downloads. Tagged with , , , , .

22 Responses

Comments are now closed.

1. So glad I found you! I saw your houses in photos from quilt market & then ordered the fabric from hawthorne threads right away. I got my panels in the mail today & then searched in hope of finding a tutorial. Thanks so much!

2. So cute! The clear template is a great idea!

3. Such a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing.

4. these are too cute for words… just ordered my panels! :)

5. Julie Taylor said

Can you tell me where to get the Alice +Gretel pattern book for the house with the handle please – I’m desperate to make this!!

6. Eeep, I can not wait to get my hands on some Storybook Lane! It’s absolutely gorgeous – you really did a fantastic job!

7. Just pinned and shared on Facebook. Lovely!

8. That quilt is exquisite with the tree scene quilted on the back. Wow.

9. Marie Eisenhower said

is anyone else having a hard time downloading the file? I have tried times now and it just locks my computer up and doesn’t finish downloading. is there a way to email me the file? BooBoosbows@gmail.com

10. Marie Eisenhower said

I right clicked on image and saved link that way as I couldn’t do it any other way

11. Kelly said

If anyone is having trouble downloading the file, please send me an e-mail at kleecreel@everkelly.com, and I will e-mail you a copy of the file. Thanks!

12. Kathy said

Oh my gosh!!!! This is so awesome!!! I can’t believe you are giving a template away!! Thank you SOOOO much!! Love this!!

13. Stephanie said

Can’t wait to make this! I purchased the house with the handle, this will be perfect for my daughter’s little town. She loves these by the way. Thank you!!

14. Bobbi said

kelly what do you mean when you say the fabric is printed with bleed? I have never heard this term before and cannot find a meaning. Thank you.

15. Anne C. said

So cute! Love them. Thanks so much.

16. Sam said

I am so confused. I bought a “storybook lane” panel online and on it I see all of the dolls and it looks like the front and backs of 2 houses (4 images) but only 6 side panels. How many houses does that make? Which template do I use? I’m guessing I need the basic house pattern. Is there more than one panel for the other houses? I kind of regret buying this online because I am not 100% what I got and what I still need to make everything (I did buy the whole “package” but then Whipstitch ran out and only sent me part of it.. eek!) It’s super cute and I can’t wait to get started. Looking forward to some clarification from a kind soul.

17. Samantha said

Bobbi – To answer your question, say she wanted the image printed on the fabric to be 6×6. There is going to be a few millimeters of “bleed” where the ink doesn’t print exactly 6×6, it may be 6.1 x 6.3, despite best efforts. Cotton absorbs and it bleeds into the next strand.

18. Judy Comnick said

I bought the two panels and cannot find the patterns anywhere. I checked all the stores you listed online.
    Any idea where I can find the pattern book. I tried downloading the free house tutorial online on several computers and they all had trouble reading it so no luck there either! Help.

19. Tamie said

I can’t wait to make these for our granddaughter! She will be delighted with the happy little storybook characters. Thank you for these sweet patterns and fabrics!

20. Lauire said

I am finally going to give this a go. Is there a tutorial anywhere? The info on this page is great, but I’d love to have a tutorial for some of this. Thanks!

21. merci beaucoup pour ce modèle.

22. These are just precious!