DIY Cuckoo Clock (and free download!)

Cuckoo7
I am so excited to share this project with you!  You might remember this little sneak peak I posted a while ago.  Well, today is the full reveal.  Introducing: the DIY Cuckoo Clock.

I don’t know if you’ve been to any craft stores lately, but I keep seeing unpainted wooden bird houses everywhere.  The small versions used in this project only cost a $1.  Every time I saw them, I kept wishing they were cuckoo clocks.  That’s when it hit me: why not make your own?

Cuckoo1

Now, to be honest, as much as I love cuckoo clocks, the tick-tock sound is very distracting for me.  (Not to mention an hourly chime!)  These are quiet, display-only birds.

This project is pretty simple — almost all paint and glue.  However, you’ll need a drill and possibly a rotary cutter (if you want to make the fancier gold/white version).  I think this project would look equally cute in a monochromatic color scheme — or of course, you could go traditional and add tiny trees, wooden people, and dark wood trim.

Cuckoo4
All of the instructions are in this handy (free) download.  Just click on the image below to download the PDF and then choose “Save as”:

Cuckoo16

If you make one, I’d love to see it!  Just drop me a note.  And, as always, if you have any questions about the instructions (or if you – gasp! -  catch an error), drop me a line at kleecreel at everkelly dot com.

Cuckoo6

Here is a little sample from the instructions:

Cuckoo15

I hope you enjoy!  XOXO, Kelly

Filed under I Made This, Inspiration, Tutorials & Downloads. Tagged with , , .

29 Responses

Comments are now closed.

1. OMG!!! Words don’t even describe how cute these are!!!! Absolutely adorable!

2. Oh my that’s adorable.

3. So wonderful! I’m thrilled, because this is the perfect gift for my papa, who is so difficult to shop/craft for! Thanks!

4. rita said

hi kelly, is this a real clock or a pretend clock? do the hands move?

5. CUTE!!!!! Thanks for the pdf…I’m going to make this for a friend of mine that recently started a cuckoo clock collection!!!

6. I love this idea. You can customize to fit your decor and it is so easy to do. Thanks for a great idea

7. Kelly said

Hi Rita – The clock hands are just for decoration. At the craft store, they do sell clock kits so I think you could turn it into a real clock if you wanted to (although you might want to get a larger size bird house to start with). However, I was in the mood for something a little simpler!

8. Oh my gosh that is the cutest thing ever! I just clicked over from Creature Comforts and I’m so glad I did. I would love to link to this if you didn’t mind.

9. Adorable! And I have these exact bird houses too, so ……..
    I’m going to link to this on my weekly crafty &international blog linking party, and would love if you’d drop by and link to some more of your projects, I’m always looking for some quality contributors like you! Hope to see you and all the best!

10. Beautiful – featured you today

11. Oh, these are so delightful.

12. awww, these are so cute! great job. thanks for sharing

13. So cute! I love the little pine cone pendulum details you added. Genius!

14. OH MY GOODNESS!!! These are so ridiculously cute! I love this idea, I really want to make one/a bunch of these.

15. Kim in ft worth said

i saw this on craftzine. this is too freaking cute. i want to do holiday houses ….Time to be Thankful…..Time for Santa, etc. using patterned papers and embellies. Thank you so much for the inspo! Love it.

16. These are super cute. thank you very much for sharing this with us.

17. super-cute, Kelly! i always see these bird houses & other wooden trims at the craft store & think they are interesting, but hadn’t come up with any cool uses for them. your faux cuckoo clock is awesome!

18. Sandy said

Recently bought a couple of these houses to turn into fairy/gnome houses for a crafting swap…and then bought 10 more because I just knew I’d find some other fun things to do with them. Thanks, Kelly, for my next what-else-can-I-do-with-this-mini-birdhouse project!

19. jackie said

thank you so much for these instructions! this is absolutly darling!

20. Just love your cuckoo clocks
    Im chrocheting one at the moment .
    love your use of colors !

21. Your little clocks are fantastic! I liked your tutorial (and blog!) too, very well done. I linked this to my clocks project post too today for daylight savings and all… come on over and have a look!

22. Reinaldo said

Uma ótima idéia! Agradeço pela dica!

23. nathan said

just as I said yesterday I went out this morning to get the suplies for that great clock and I made it. I didn’t exactley the way you did though. instead of painting the bird house I stained it a dark cherry tone and made decorative cut outs for the crown and instead of using seed holders and cord for the weights and chains I used real pine cones painted gold and brass chain. I also added a thin balsa wood cutout stationary but still decoritive pendulum. it now hangs above my fire place[in my house that is the place of honour] and it looks fantastic. now I have to start making them for my freinds that also love them and told me they need there own.

24. maya said

for some reason I can’t get the download to work again

25. Kelly said

Nathan, that sounds SO cool! Thanks so much for your note. :-)

26. Kelly said

@maya – I just tested this and it seems to be working ok. When you click on the download button, it should take you to the PDF of the instructions. To save a copy, you’ll need to select “Save Page As” in the upper left hand corner of your screen. If you’re still having problems, send me an e-mail with your e-mail address, and I can send you a copy of the file. Thanks!

27. Reluctant Wendy said

Hi. I have to admit that I am one to admire and not comment; but after reading your blurb on commenting, I am going to go beyond my comfort level and comment. So this is me telling you, that i ABSOLUTELY LOOOOOVE these cute little adorable cuckoo clocks. Honestly, they are so cute! Thank you for posting the DIY, that was very nice of you :)

28. Deepthi said

Hi Kelly,
    Good to have come across this, an amazing idea, I want to try it… Thank you so much for sharing

29. So cute! I’ve been seeing these vintage clocks everywhere and never thought of making one.. Great idea!!
    Thanks!